PyYaml?

Chris S. chrisks at NOSPAM.udel.edu
Sun Sep 19 19:28:26 EDT 2004

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> YAML and pickles address two different but related domains.
> Pickle attempts to serialize and deserialize arbitrary
> Python data structures.  YAML serializes a subset of the
> data structures that can be made portable, with it seems
> some hooks for new datatypes.
>
> Here's a test.  Can you do the following in YAML and do
> so securely?  (Untested code.)

[snip code]

Conceptually, yes. That code would work fine with a full YAML
implementation. Admittedly, the current pure-Python implementation is
not yet complete. I didn't mean to imply that the current YAML
implementations were drop-in replacements for Pickle, only that the
concept of YAML is deserving of more attention.