Parallelization on muli-CPU hardware?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Oct 5 11:06:24 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-05, Sam G. <> wrote:

> According to the fact that all Thread run on the same CPU

I don't think anybody said that, and based on my understanding
of Python's threading, I don't see why it would be true.

> (if i didn't understand wrong), i'm asking if python will
> suffer from the future multicore CPU. Will not python use only
> one core, then a half or a quarter of CPU ? It could be a
> serious problem for the future of python...

AFAIK, the threads aren't all locked to a single CPU.  However,
there is a global interpreter lock (a mutex), which somewhat
prevents simultaneous execution of threads when they _are_ on
different CPUs.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What UNIVERSE is
                                  at               this, please??