Some more notes

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Mon Oct 25 03:01:08 EDT 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:58:06 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Jorgen Grahn wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:01:00 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>>>That's not necessary in almost all cases.  Windows happily(*)
>>>accepts forward slashes in all system calls.  The only place
>>>it does not is in the *shell* (aka command.com and cmd.exe).
>>
>> IIRC, forward slashes have been acceptable since way back in early MS-DOS --
>> although someone somewhere on Usenet suggested that Microsoft have never
>> commited to keeping it that way.
>
> I know that there was an un(der)documented control somewhere that
> allowed one to change even DOS to accept hyphens in place of
> forward slashes as the "switch" indicator for command line options,
> but this is the first time I've heard it suggested that even
> the DOS "APIs" (I use the term loosely... the interrupt routines
> barely qualify for that title :-) ) would allow forward slashes
> as the Windows APIs (always?) have.
>
> Does anyone have a reference for that?

[ greps his ~/News/* ]

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++.moderated

  MS-DOS operating system requests (e.g. open), and those of Windows, have
  always, from the very first, accepted either '\' or '/' as a directory
  separator, and still do today.  There is really not the slightest need to
  use '\' for this in a string constant.

... followed by a lot of other interesting stuff.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!