Some more notes

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Oct 25 08:51:24 EDT 2004

Andrew Durdin wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:58:06 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
 >>[about even DOS system calls accepting forward slash]
>>Does anyone have a reference for that?
>
> Googling coincidentally brings up a c.l.py/python-list reference on
> the first page, so that thread might be a good starting point:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-September/185211.html

Thanks!  I even participated in that thread, so I must have read it
at the time.  Shows how great my memory is. :-(

The summary is that ever since DOS added subdirectories (in DOS 2.0)
it has allowed either slash in the system calls.  Still, this was
problematic at the command line because the default "switch" character
was "/" and not "-", and because some programs hardcoded support for
only the backslash form.

Peter