Language comparison site - Python ranks #8 on the A-list

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Wed Oct 27 08:29:39 EDT 2004

    Paul> I just tripped over this site
    Paul> (http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm), and google shows that there
    Paul> has only been a brief mention of it on c.l.py in the Aug 12
    Paul> Dr. Dobb's Python-URL post, so I thought I'd pass it along
    Paul> for those looking for some quasi-quantitative Python
    Paul> advocacy data.

To stay on topic, observing the software development landscape in
general, it seems that Python mindshare has increased a lot during the
last few years. In the Open Source scene Python already seems to be
the de facto standard scripting / RAD language (having replaced Perl),
but Python seems to be doing a nice job of increasing the adoption in
the proprietary world as well (in the scripting role).

So Python has definitely "made it", and there is really no fear of it
sinking into obscurity (prediction of which being probably what the
aforementioned websites are for). Not before Java anyway, not to
mention the more obviously proprietary languages.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb