ctypes 0.9.2 released

Ganesan R rganesan at myrealbox.com
Sun Oct 31 01:20:28 EDT 2004

>>> Future plans
>>> The ultimate purpose of the 0.9 release series is to shake out the
>>> remaining bugs, especially on platforms I have no access to, and
>>> to target a rock stable ctypes 1.0 release.
>>> When ctypes 1.0 is released, the com framework will be split off
>>> into a separate framework named 'comtypes'.
>>
>> Congratulations! I maintain ctypes for debian. I am holding off uploading
>> the 0.9 versions because they don't support Python 2.2. A Python 2.2 package
>> was present in debian for ctypes 0.6.2, I want to be sure that no one is
>> using it before uploading 0.9.x.

> When I gave up support for Python 2.2, I didn't realize that all the
> platforms on sourceforge's compile farm still have Python 2.2.  I had to
> configure a install a private 2.3 or newer version myself, although
> probably I learned a lot from that.

> When will the linux distributions switch from 2.2 to a newer version?
> I understood that redhat probably had their reasons to stay with 1.5.2
> for quite a long time, but are there similar reasons for other distributions?

Debian switched to Python 2.3 as default quite a while back. If you install
python-ctypes in python you get python2.3-ctypes by default. You need to
explicitly install python2.2-ctypes if you want Python 2.2 support.

It's just that I need to remove python2.2-ctypes package if I upload a
0.9.x version of ctypes.  If some one is still interested in Python 2.2
support, I may have to package both 0.6.2 (under a different name, say
ctypes062) and 0.9.2.

Ganesan