ctypes 0.9.2 released

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Fri Oct 29 17:53:58 EDT 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:02:07 +0200, Thomas Heller wrote:
> When will the linux distributions switch from 2.2 to a newer version?
> I understood that redhat probably had their reasons to stay with 1.5.2
> for quite a long time, but are there similar reasons for other distributions?

Yeesh, this is still an issue? Even Gentoo has moved on to 2.3, and I felt
like it took a while.

That makes sense because while Gentoo is a "bleeding edge" distro, the
core "emerge" and "portage" stuff is all written in Python. Moving Python
versions requires porting the entire distro, which while that probably
isn't a lot of work in the absolute sense is certainly a lot of testing.
Thus, this is more significant than a non-Python distro. (I expect this is
why there is no ebuild for 2.4 yet; normally there would be one marked
with the unstable flag "~x86", but it probably ends up breaking the entire
distro or something if you install that as /usr/bin/python, and it would
cause other havoc for this particular package to install it as python2.4
now, and try to change that later. Though I could be wrong.)

I just checked and 2.3.4 isn't even marked unstable for x86.

I'm surprised that they don't even have them as options; Python does OK as
"pythonX.X" in general.