webserverless Python Wiki Engines: do they exists?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 7 03:32:49 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've just a few hours looking via google, http://c2.com/cgi/wiki, and
the python.org wiki, but haven't had luck, so it's time to ask:

I'm looking for a stand alone Python wiki engine that does not require a
web server such as Apache or MS IIS. I have found such beasts in other
languages (e.g. <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EddiesWiki> in C++, and a couple
in Ruby), but none written in Python. A pointer to any that I've missed
would be most appreciated.

To give some idea of my requirements: Python is the only programming
language that I know anything to speak of, and my skills are modest.
(Python is a thesis procrastination projec and I've done no web
programming to date.) I have an itch in the PIM domain, and I am wanting
to find a project as a basis to build upon that is 1) appropriate in
scope/complexity for a relative newcomer and 2) would enable me to have
a personal wiki (not exposed to the web). I am running WindowsMe, and
Python 2.3.4. I don't mind if I have to get some extra packages, but I
definitely don't want to have to come to terms with something like Zope.
(One day, perhaps, but not too soon.)

If there were one that used ReStructuredText for markup, that would be
great. But at this point, I think I'd be better off not restricting the
pool :-)

Thanks for any pointers. Best,

Brian vdB