request for feedback: pyfmf

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 08:26:17 EDT 2004

"Dan Perl" <danperl at rogers.com> wrote in message news:<oOGdnVv0D8jmduPcRVn-gg at rogers.com>...
> pyfmf is a project I started a few months ago and that is registered with
> sourceforge (http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net,
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyfmf).  It consists of a framework for file
> management, with a console based toolkit (zigo) and a graphical platform
> (zago) based on the framework.  Both zigo and zago are still alpha releases,
> addressed only to python enthusiasts.
>
> I just released a new version of zigo and the first release of zago.  There
> have been a few tens of downloads of previous releases of zigo (which is not
> bad) but I never received any feedback (at least I didn't get any bad
> feedback either).  I would like to hear what other people think about it.  I
> am interested in comments on uses, design, coding or just simply whether you
> think this is interesting and useful.  Please take a look at the home page
> of the project: http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net.

Another suggestion not so minor really - bundle docs *with* the
downloads, or as a minimum offer a separately packaged bundle of docs
for offline reading...... I've seen some amazingly useful looking
modules that I've never bothered to wade through the source code of to
work out what they actually do. Asa  simple rule it's about ten times
easier to write your own code than it is to read someone else's. It's
an extremely useful skill to gain - but not one you can rely on people
practising on your code !! Sorry, bit of a rant - but it really annoys
me when I download a useful looking bit of code, take it home and
unpack it - only to discover there's no docs bundled with it....
*sigh* If it's woorth writing, it's worth documenting...

Regards,

Fuzzy