Looking for more Cookbook contributors

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 28 21:00:22 EDT 2004

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1gmdbxx.o57i68hu9achN%aleaxit at yahoo.com...
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> 1. list the invalid (bouncing) email address you have, if any.

> inconsiderate to list a mail address for somebody who has not explicitly
> "published" that address, and attract spam to that address thereby,
> though.

Of course, especially if in machine harvestible form, which is why I
specified 'invalid'.  My unstated point still stands: if one asks 'Do you
have better info than I do', it is much easier to sensibly respond if the
requestor lists the known info.

> It's that one.  It's not invalid: we don't see bounces.  Our mails are
> just getting ignored -- that's all we know.

I am surprised.  Maybe some mail systems have given up on bounces, perhaps
since they validate the good addresses by not bouncing.

> takes far too much time and energy to chase down everybody we'd want to
> credit as a contributor in order to get proper permissions and snailmail
> addresses for complimentary copies.

You have my sympathy.  When my wife published an art history book with
photos of sculptures owned by 30+ entities, getting all the needed
permissions, often requiring owner-specific forms, was not the funnest part
;-).

Terry J. Reedy