__author__

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft anna at aleax.it
Fri Oct 1 12:58:42 EDT 2004

Peter L Hansen wrote:
> Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
>
>> You may be seeing those in modules that were packaged up with
>> distutils. The setup.py expects certain metadata about the
>> distribution,including those you've listed above. A list of the
>> expected values is available on page 562 of _Python in a Nutshell_, or
>> in _Distributing Python Modules_ section 3, accessible at
>> thttp://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html
>

> Anna, I'd like a clarification please.  Are you suggesting that
> those variables as written *with underscores* are what distutils
> expects to see, or merely that the names of those variables
> is similar to those required by distutils?  I don't see any
> mention of __whatever__ on the page you cite above.

Yep - you're right.
__whatever__ isn't there. Copyright isn't on that page either (as Alex
helpfully pointed out to me after I posted this). (Good thing I said
"may". That's what I get for posting while fighting a cold...)

I hope that someone like someone whose modules use __something__ can
explain for both of us...

Anna