__author__

Peter L Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Oct 1 12:48:47 EDT 2004

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
> You may be seeing those in modules that were packaged up with distutils.
> The setup.py expects certain metadata about the distribution,including
> those you've listed above. A list of the expected values is available on
> page 562 of _Python in a Nutshell_, or in _Distributing Python Modules_
> section 3, accessible at thttp://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html

Anna, I'd like a clarification please.  Are you suggesting that
those variables as written *with underscores* are what distutils
expects to see, or merely that the names of those variables
is similar to those required by distutils?  I don't see any
mention of __whatever__ on the page you cite above.

-Peter