[wx] Simple image editor

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Sat Oct 30 14:05:26 EDT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:28:35 +0200, Michele Petrazzo wrote:

> Please don't tell me to read the GIMP's source :).

Why read GIMP's source when you can use it?

Can you shell out your manipulations, and then just take a changed version
of the image back in?

Of course, any image editor will work then, too.

Maybe not, I don't know your needs. But it is worth thinking about. Image
editors are in the class of applications that you should go to great
lengths to avoid rewriting. To get anything beyond the Paint that shipped
with Windows 3.1 is a major effort, plus unless you really, really know
your users don't want anything but primitive text overlays, you're asking
for an infinite amount of feature requests to add things that other image
editors already have. Plus, the naive implementations of things like
"undo" eat memory for lunch.

Take a look at the *size* of the GIMP, even without the filter plugins.
Are you sure you want to take that job on? Even a subset can get massive,
fast.