Modules aren't first-class values (was: New to Python: Features)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue Oct 5 16:08:03 EDT 2004

In article <mailman.4367.1097002885.5135.python-list at python.org>,
Richard Blackwood  <richardblackwood at cloudthunder.com> wrote:
			.
>question could have been answered in the docs, true.  But modules for
>example, the docs don't tell me at all that I can use modules as
>variables and that I can pass them into and out of functions/methods.
			.
			.
			.
I've seen you assert this a couple of times.  I haven't been
able to spot the revelation in this thread which inspired you
to it.  I suspect there's a confusion somewhere.  Modules
are *not* first-class values, although their names are.  It
sounds as though the standard documentation lacks something
in regard to modules, but I don't know what it is.  If you
present the idea in some detail, perhaps someone will come
up with an idea on better documentation.