Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Oct 5 12:11:20 EDT 2004

Eric Pederson writes:
 > So possible examples might be:

Choose poor examples, and then criticize them as poor choices?

 > 'xx'somebody's mother'xx'

How about   '.'somebody's mother'.'
Or          '-'somebody's mother'-'

 > <quote>somebody's body<quote>
 >
 > or would we then worry that we might want to quote some angle
 > bracketed mark-up?

I sure would.

 > [I like '''triple quotes''' though if they ever catch on in the mainstream, they'll be useless - because they will wind up in strings]

Exactly.  It really would be better to have one(1) string literal
which can quote anything without reverting to backslashing.  Why one?
Simpler parsing, simpler learning of the language, fewer choices to
make while programming.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Violence never solves
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | problems, it just changes