Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')

Eric Pederson whereU at now.com
Tue Oct 5 01:56:41 EDT 2004

Russell Nelson wrote:

> If you need to put a single quote in, then you put
> an arbitrary string in-between the single quotes which does NOT
> appear in the string.  For example, "Bill's house" becomes
> 'x'Bill's house'x'.

So possible examples might be:

'xx'somebody's mother'xx'
'xy'somebody's father'xy'
'wink'somebody's uncle'wink'
'quote'somebody's body'quote'

not terrible easy on the eyes, and why use the single quote at all?  Why not use a similar pattern like this

<quote>somebody's body<quote>

or would we then worry that we might want to quote some angle bracketed mark-up?

it seems like the problem is what to use as a unique delimiter.  Personally I am all for using u5421 [ᔭ], but I suspect we might risk the ire of Nanuk.  So rather than going TMTOWTDI  with 'x' and  'earl' and 'ernie' why don't we declare a new unicode symbol for quoting (how do you draw an endless loop graphic?)?

Of course, when we need to quote some text which uses the new quoting unicode symbol...

we'll just escape it with a \.

[I like '''triple quotes''' though if they ever catch on in the mainstream, they'll be useless - because they will wind up in strings]

Eric Pederson
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs