reverse Jython

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Tue Oct 19 19:13:07 EDT 2004

> If you dont' _need_ to include Java in your thesis, why not help with
> PyPy? It's the Python interpreter written in Python. It's regarded as
> a important piece of software for experimentation with the Python
> language itself. Give it a look:
>
> http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?home
>
> p.s. There is a rumour that the PyPy team secretly believes that they
> can make it run *faster* than CPython. Does it makes it a good thesis?
> ;-)

PyPy, given the secret belief, will make a good project, on-going
project, collaboration project. The problem lies with the nature of a
thesis work or any academic project, what academics aims for is to
publish papers, get money and work on an area.

With a large project like PyPy, the dynamics of academic research breaks
down as it is real tough to carve a boundary of that you want to do. For
example, if I say (announce on usenet) that I am working import
mechanism, I will be hoping that nobody in this world will write the
same thing before I am done with my thesis. If someone did that before
me, then the chances of publishing my work drops to near zero. In the
end, I'll be doing a one-man chase, not unlike running behind a
MacClaren and trying to catch it...... This is why although PyPy is an
important piece of work and by achieving that (even slower than Jython)
will be a proof of concept of python's completeness, it is not quite
suitable as an part of academic work. Not to mention that it is near
impossible to get developers' documentation (the rationale behind each
function and classes)......

This may be why academic research tends towards obscurity, at least
then, I'll be walking with fellow tortoises and able to enjoy my coffee
with biscotti, rather than running against a train. This may be why
universities can develop new OS and new languages etc etc, because it
fits into the dynamics of academic research and if your project is as
untouched by the world as possible, your stress level drops. On this
light, there is a group in University of Washington (I think) that is
still working on putting type information into assembly language. Pardon
my ignorance here but ask some researchers on the use of their work and
it may boil down to academic curiosity.

I do not need to add Java into my thesis but I am trying to use it to
brush up my Java skills (I hope). Perhaps I am dreaming of a world that
anything can be written in any programming language (even multiple
languages in a same script... how many times we get questions like...
Can Python do ____?) and run on any machines with similar
efficiencies... But then, maybe reversing the Tower of Babel is
impossible...

Maurice