GPL and Python modules.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Oct 25 16:55:50 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-25, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>>>Whatever gave you the idea you are obligated to provide support?!
>>

>> Experience.
>>
>> Customers seem to have no problem with not getting source code,
>> but once you _do_ give them source code then you have to
>> support it.  Ignoring customers when they ask questions about
>> the source code has always proven in past experience to be "not
>> an option."
>
> Well, it sounds like an issue for your contract; i.e., an explicit
> clause about not supporting code that has been modified in any way.

Oh, it says that.

> Or maybe make it explicit that a higher level of support
> contract is required, or something of the sort.

It says that too.

That doesn't stop them from asking "just one question". Usually
forwaded through sales.

IMO, it's usually worthwile to answer the questions.  It
generates customer loyalty.  But, pretending that it deoesn't
cost time/effort to support GPL'd source code when you give it
to a customer is being delusional.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I want a COLOR
                                  at               T.V. and a VIBRATING BED!!!