Python vs PHP

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Tue Oct 26 09:05:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 14:27 +0200, Max M wrote:

[...]

> I don't have anything bad to say about nevow, as I don't know it ;-) But
> I have tried many page layout systems where complex layout in complex
> layout is the problem.

I'm not sure it's been said explicitly (I should really read the whole
thread ;-)) but Nevow *embraces* the fact that the HTML sometimes needs
to be generated from code. See the nevow.stan and nevow.tags modules for
proof.

I've had a couple of occasions where my disk templates have got to the
point of being unmaintainable. Mostly, it's been trying to layout
reasonably complex, dynamically sized tabular data with col and row
spans (ick!). I moved the HTML generation into a Python module using
stan tags and the code is now readable and shorter. Personally, this is
something I try to avoid but Nevow does support it when necessary.

Note that it's very easy to create tag libraries with Nevow. That keeps
the bulk of the HTML generation in a sane place and leaves render
methods as just glue between the page and the code.

Cheers, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
w: http://www.pollenation.net