ann: Pysch, Scheme runtime environment in Python

Oleg Paraschenko olepar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 13:09:31 EDT 2004

Hello David,

David Rush <kumoyuki at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:<ck65nd$9vf$1 at pixie.nscp.aoltw.net>...

> And for the tone-of-voice challenged, I do not intend to convey
> sarcasm. Rather I am amazed that such an approach works well
> enough to:

  I'm interested in generative programming and virtual machines.
One of the my suggestions is that it is reasonable to use
a minimal lisp-like core system and scheme-like library as
an universal virtual machine. Indeed, Pysch was a test if this
approach works. Hm, maybe I should write an article now?

> > Pysch supports only a subset of the Scheme functions
> > library. Anyway, the subset is big enough to run
> > SXPath and SXSLT code.
>
> How fast?

  As slow as possible. Speed was sacrificed in order to produce
a correctly working prototype as soon as possible.

On my Linux computer (PII 450MHz, 512Mb RAM),
calculation of the Ackermann(3,4) gives:

$ time sh -c '(cat ack.xml | (cd ../pysch/pysch/vm; python eval.py))'
Ackermann(3,4) is 125
#unspecified
56.59user 0.26system 1:10.39elapsed 80%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

Oleg