collision detection and penetration depth

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Mon Oct 25 08:13:30 EDT 2004

> So, my questions are: Is there an existing Python module that offers
> exactly what we need? If not, what should be my course of action:
> 1. Try to get a working .exe out of the FreeSOLID package (it has some
> sample apps) and passing args on command line?
> 2. Try to reproduce the needed code in Python (without really
> understanding what I'm doing *ouch*)?
> 3. Try to make the FreeSOLID functions usable in my Python scripts?
> (This would be embedding/extending, right? Haven't done that before,
> either. And it seems there's a lot of c involved again.)

I've been working on a freeesolid binding for pyhthon - it has been pretty
much complete, and to create it was a piece of cake - I did it in two days,
while learning how to actually do it. At least under linux, with a decent
compiler available and the distutils at your hands, its no big deal.

I'd be glad to give the binding to you - but unfortunately, a hd-crash has
blown it into oblivion.

And in the meantime, I discovered that there exists some other lib that
actually was better suited for my problems: The Open Dynamics Engine. It
also featurs a collision detection amongst other features, and there exist
even two bindings for python: PyODE is one of them, the other I didn't try.

Maybe that helps you,

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch