GPL and Python modules.

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Mon Oct 25 15:38:26 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> Are you taking my question out of context?  I really doubt
> Brazilian law says that if I provide access to the source
> code for open source software, I *must* provide "support".

It says you must provide some kind of guarantee and a certain level of
support, no matter if the source is or isn't included.

I was not trying to take anything out of context, just citing one
occasion where you might have obligation to give support to a product
and the example was a law requirement.

> What does this law say is the form of the support?  Do I have
> to provide a 24x7 call centre staffed with nice knowledgeable
> people?  Do I have to provide a detailed design document
> showing how the modules interrelate?  What kind of turnaround
> on fixing bugs or responding to emailed questions is required
> by this law?

Read above and please, drop the rocks from your hands.  I hope we are
here to sum up and share knowledge instead of fighting.  If these are
serious questions, I might answer later.  If they are just to start a
some kind of silly fight, I won't have lost my time.

> I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing you aren't either, so
> I suspect the argument is pointless.  I don't believe that

No, I'm not.  But I know some of these obligations -- and our lawiers
check the agreements to see if we are acting accordingly to the law
everytime there's some need (e.g. with a new client, with some new
development, etc.).

> I would have an significant obligation in the context in
> which my comments were made, and in the unlikely event I
> did, I really doubt that I would be required to provide
> such support for free.  I know, you didn't say that it
> had to be for free.  Well, I charge $1,000,000 per incident
> for support requests for my open source software (at my
> whim, usually waived though ;-).  What does Brazilian
> law say about that?

You are allowed to charge it if it's the agreement your client signed /
accepted.

See you,
--
Godoy.     <godoy at ieee.org>