GPL and Python modules.

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Oct 25 15:26:24 EDT 2004

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>
>>Whatever gave you the idea you are obligated to provide support?!

> One has such an obligation here in .br.  Our law demands that and a
> license can't override what is stated in the law, so...

Are you taking my question out of context?  I really doubt
Brazilian law says that if I provide access to the source
code for open source software, I *must* provide "support".

What does this law say is the form of the support?  Do I have
to provide a 24x7 call centre staffed with nice knowledgeable
people?  Do I have to provide a detailed design document
showing how the modules interrelate?  What kind of turnaround
on fixing bugs or responding to emailed questions is required
by this law?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing you aren't either, so
I suspect the argument is pointless.  I don't believe that
I would have an significant obligation in the context in
which my comments were made, and in the unlikely event I
did, I really doubt that I would be required to provide
such support for free.  I know, you didn't say that it
had to be for free.  Well, I charge $1,000,000 per incident
for support requests for my open source software (at my
whim, usually waived though ;-).  What does Brazilian
law say about that?

-Peter