webserverless Python Wiki Engines: do they exists?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 8 00:47:59 EDT 2004

David M. Cooke said unto the world upon 2004-10-07 23:24:
> Brian van den Broek <bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca> writes:
>

>>Frustrated, I turned back to <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines>,
>>following several others described as "standalone". Similar situation:
>>for instance PikiPiki's install instruction file says:
>>
>> > Make sure you have a web server that will let you run CGIs
>>
>>Each one I tried said (things I interpreted as meaning), that I needed
>>Apache, IIS, or some other form of webserver.
>

> If the problem is you don't want to setup and configure a webserver,
> there is a simple solution. Assuming the CGI script is in a directory
> cgi-bin below the current directory (for PikiPiki, something like
> cgi-bin/piki.cgi), then running python's CGIHTTPServer.py module as a
> script will give you a webserver to run CGI scripts:
>
> [~/public_html]$ python /usr/lib/python2.3/CGIHTTPServer.py 8080
>
> (where the path there depends on your installation, of course). Then
> http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/piki.cgi will run the piki.cgi script.
>
> Note that it will also serve all files below your current directory to
> the world if you're on the internet, so it's not the most secure
> thing.

Hi David,

thanks for the suggestion. In the end, I did get Moin-moin up and
running (but for some configuration wrinkles which I've posted to their
list about), but I'm to have the information, nonetheless. Also, I'm not
too surprised to learn I wasn't interpreting the "a webserver is
required" claims correctly.

Since I'm planning to use it as a PIM, and don't want my plans for world
domination to leak out ;-) it doesn't sound like the best route. Of
course, having typed that, I'm now realizing I am not certain that the
Moin-moin solution doesn't have the same result.

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB