New to Python: Features

Glenn Andreas gandreas at no.reply
Tue Oct 5 10:34:17 EDT 2004

In article <41621efc$0$59533$a1866201 at newsreader.visi.com>,
 Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:

> >>You've _got_ to be kidding...
> >
> > I don't think that that is proper english.
>
> Oh. My. Gaawwwd!
>
> Which one, the "Rude much?" crack or the "You've got to be
> kidding..." crack?  The latter isn't all that improper
> (especially not for Usenet).  The former is colloqial US
> English.  More specifically it's "Valley Speak" -- made popular
> outside "The Valley" by movies like "Valley Girl", "Mall Rats",
> "Heathers", and just about any John Hughes movie (especially
> Sixteen Candles).  The first two are crap, but "Heathers" is a
> good movie, and I still like "Sixteen Candles".

"Mall Rats" is set in New Jersey (part of the "Jersey Trilogy"), though
filmed in Minnesota, and is pretty much completely free of "Valley
Speak", but filled with "Jersey speak" (or whatever it would be called).

Heathers, however, is definitely a great movie... (and quite possibly
does include the line "Rude much?").