New to Python: Features

Richard Blackwood richardblackwood at cloudthunder.com
Tue Oct 5 15:13:53 EDT 2004

<SNIP>

>Terribly interesting, but well nigh impossible to corroborate.
>
>Take for example if I were to claim that I were a graduate student in
>computer science theory at the University of California, Irvine.  A
>little bit of investigation would lead you to discover that I am
>likely the person I claim to be (header examination, university search,
>etc.).

I could care less honestly.

>On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be a magic incantation for
>google that leads one to your wife's web page in the first few pages of
>results (if she is a professor, she probably has one), nor any way to
>corroborate your story in any reasonable fashion, based on information
>you have posted so far.

She's not a professor, she teaches middle school social science
(primarily history which is her specialty).

>What I would like (if you would do me this favor), is a reasonable
>amount of evidence to prove you are who you claim you are.  This has no
>reason other than to allow me to feel less of an ass for responding to
>your 40+ questions last evening. You don't need to post this to the
>entire python-list.  If you satisfy me, I'll even post to python-list
>that I believe you are who you claim you are.
>
>Would you do me this favor?
> - Josiah

I'm really not interested in playing games or divulging personal
information to complete strangers.  The way you phrase it, "If you
satisfy me", as if you were some sort of devil or something.  I am
grateful that you answered my questions, and did not expect anyone to
attempt to answer all of them.  I was hoping people who were experts in
X would respond to questions pertaining to X and nothing else.  A lot of
question could have been answered in the docs, true.  But modules for
example, the docs don't tell me at all that I can use modules as
variables and that I can pass them into and out of functions/methods.

Anyhow, excuse my ignorance.  Who I am is really not a concern.  If I
was a student, I wouldn't be on the computer from 10:00 in the morning
to 3:00 at night.  I'd have class.  I think you did me a favor, but the
favor you ask is far too personal.  People on usenet seem to have
something vicious in them and I have no intent to play that game.

I'll come back to usenet when I have more explicit and specific
questions relating to Python.