Ctypes error

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Oct 8 14:14:48 EDT 2004

Thomas Rast <foo.bar at freesurf.ch.invalid> writes:

> Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> writes:
>
>> The deeper issue is that the unicode stuff in ctypes is only compiled in
>> when the Python header files define the HAVE_USABLE_WCHAR_T symbol.  Of
>> the systems I build and test on, only Windows defines this.
>
> Since nobody else replied, I'll have to speak up here :-)
>
> I'm running a stock Debian 'testing' Linux, which currently means
>
> libc6          2.3.2.ds1-16
> gcc            3.3.4-2
> python         2.3.4-4
>
> /usr/include/python2.3/pyconfig.h *does* define HAVE_USABLE_WCHAR_T.

Thanks for the effort - on my suse linux 9.0 with gcc 3.3.1,
HAVE_USABLE_WCHAR_T is *not* defined - neither with the python package
that suse delivers, nor with ./configure I run myself over the CVS
sources.

But the good news is - it doesn't matter.  I posted a mssage to
python-dev about my finding when grepping through the sources - ctypes
should use HAVE_WCHAR_H, or maybe Py_UNICODE_SIZE.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-October/049275.html

Thomas