execvp() on Solaris

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Oct 18 17:28:09 EDT 2004

mikeSpindler wrote:
> I've seen it addressed in searching, but not specifically what is
> recommended to get around it.  On Linux where I did my development all
> was fine.  But then going to Solaris for the target I found I couldn't
> resolve the errors wrt execvp().  It's apparently not syntax, but I
> could be wrong.  Any other thoughts on how to get execvp() working
> and/or how to cat a file in a new window without bringing tkinter into
> the discussion?
>
> My example:
>   os.system("xterm -geometry 120x20 -e \"tail -f ./logs/DATAFILE\"&")

I'm not sure I understand the question. You ask about os.execvp, but
then bring up an example for os.system, which is something entirely
different.

As for this os.system call: it should work fine if xterm is in the path,
if DISPLAY is set, and if ./log/DATAFILE exists (and if tail is in the
path, which it should be).

Regards,
Martin