python vs c#

Andrew Durdin adurdin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 04:44:25 EDT 2004

On 4 Oct 2004 07:51:42 GMT, Bengt Richter <bokr at oz.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:23:58 +1100, Andrew Durdin <adurdin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"+a number +of * have" -- about 1,280,000 results
> >"+a number +of * has" -- about 28,800 results
>
> Google seems to accept those quoted arguments, but I could not
> find '*' usage explained in the advanced search tips. Nor usage of
> special characters within quotes. Where did you find out about that?
> (And are you sure you need the +'s? The '*' does definitiely do something though.)

I put in the +'s because I wasn't certain whether Google would ignore
the "a" and "of" even though they were in quotes -- as it turns out,
they are unnecessary.
The * was a trick I picked up from reading Language Log (you'll find a
link earlier in this thread), but it (as well as many other useful
tips) is explained in the O'Reilly book "Google Hacks" which I
borrowed from a friend recently.