Corba vs Soap (was: Re: Multiple XML-RPC calls over the same connection?)

Irmen de Jong irmen at -nospam-remove-this-xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 29 19:02:16 EDT 2004

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> Exactly - its grey. SOAP is grey in that field, too. So it renders e.g. .NET
> and AXIS un-interoperable when more than the most trivial tasks are
> planned.

Which is a big pain in the butt! We had to deal with this a few times
in our company, and (if I recall correctly) had to decide on a custom
XML structure that was sent inside a very very basic SOAP wrapper.
(the client wanted SOAP, they got SOAP... :-( )

> I've been in contact with xmlrpc/soap after I became aquainted with corba,
> and I have to say that to me its a huge step back in time. But it gets the
> attention these days, due to clever marketing and the fact that its based
> on xml - something that seems to be a must these days.

Back in 2002 I wrote a very extensive article/whitepaper on this subject.
It's available on the OMG website:

   http://www.omg.org/news/whitepapers/CORBA_vs_SOAP1.pdf

Interesting stuff inside, if you're into this kind of technology.
(it's PDF, other formats also available on my own website)

--Irmen de Jong