Encouraging Python adoption in your organization

Peter L Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Oct 4 09:14:57 EDT 2004

Miki Tebeka wrote:
> 3. When asked about time estimation say something like "in C/C++/Java"
>    it'll be around two weeks, in Python I can do it in less than one"

Please don't do this without taking the time to become proficient
enough with Python that you could *demonstrate* how quickly you
can program with it.  Otherwise you'll look like you've been sucked
in by hype and will lose credibility.

I and others have found at least a three-times speedup using Python,
but other than reporting this as "anecdotal evidence" you'd be well
advised not to hype it too much until your own team (or you) are in
a position to put your fingers where your mouth was... (or whatever
the appropriate phrase would be :-).

> 5. "Be there first". Make a fast prototype that does most of the *visible*
>    work in Python as fast as you can. This way you'll have a strong
>    argument to continue with Python.

Yes!