execvp() on Solaris

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Tue Oct 19 08:18:49 EDT 2004

mikeSpindler wrote:
> I've seen it addressed in searching, but not specifically what is
> recommended to get around it.  On Linux where I did my development all
> was fine.  But then going to Solaris for the target I found I couldn't
> resolve the errors wrt execvp().  It's apparently not syntax, but I
> could be wrong.  Any other thoughts on how to get execvp() working
> and/or how to cat a file in a new window without bringing tkinter into
> the discussion?
>
> My example:
>   os.system("xterm -geometry 120x20 -e \"tail -f ./logs/DATAFILE\"&")
>
> Thank you!
> Mike

Stupid question first: does the command work in a shell? Because AFAIK, there is
no xterm installed by default under Solaris. The terminal is called dtterm and
is located in /usr/dt/bin.

I tried the exact same thing you're doing on Solaris 2.7 with Python 2.1 and got
no error at all:

Python 2.1.1 (#13, Dec 10 2003, 10:31:34)
[GCC 3.2.2] on sunos5
 >>> import os
 >>> os.system('/usr/dt/bin/dtterm -geometry 120x20 -e '
               'tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smb &')
0

So I can only repeat what others already told you: please send the exact error
messages you get, or we won't be able to help you much...