Python 2.4 and Visual C++ Express

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Nov 24 16:33:28 EST 2004

Jive wrote:

>"Steve Menard" <menard.nospam.steve at gmail.nospamisaid.com> wrote in message
>news:30ji62F31ppn0U1 at uni-berlin.de...

>Do you mean if I install 2.4, I will have to find VC++ 7.1 versions of all
>the extensions
>I may be using?  If so, that's still borderline horrible, but I guess
>Microsoft is the culprit. Annow
>for something completely the same.

It has almost always been the case that you must download new extensions
for a new major version of Python.  The difference now is that library
developers can use the Free (as-in-beer) MSToolkit compiler to build
7.1-compatible extensions, instead of needing to purchase MSVC++ 6.0.

It's not a particularly elegant process (lots of downloads and a few
setup steps), but IMO it's a *good* thing to finally have no-cost option
for providing extensions on Windows.

That said, I'm not sure this will help you with your embedded platform.
Don't know if the Toolkit compiler will work with whatever Win32
platform runs there, but for general desktops moving to MSVC 7.1 seems
to be a win.  However, the Toolkit doesn't come with the ability AFAIK
to build MSVC++ project files, so there will be some pain as developers
become accustomed to exporting makefiles or the equivalent from the
project files to support the Toolkit.  Still, marching in the right
direction...

Just MHO,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher