ANNOUNCE: Ice 2.0 released

Anand Hariharan mailto.anand.hariharan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 09:34:19 EST 2004

Marc Laukien <marc at zeroc.com> wrote in message news:<s7SdnfFRp_kLGjncRVn-1A at speakeasy.net>...
> > I'm sure this is a wonderful thing, but your announcement gives absolutely
> > no clue as to what Ice is or what it is used for.
> >
> > Please include an executive summary when you make an announcement like
> > this.
>
> Sorry for the omission. Please see the summary below:

(...)

> Ice is free software, available with full source, and released under the
> terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Commercial licenses are
> available for customers who wish to use Ice for closed-source software."

Interesting to see this blend of GPL and an alternative for
closed-source software.

Not totally unrelated, I saw this in your web-site (Ice vs CORBA
page):
<QUOTE>
No "Design by Committee"
Ice was designed by a small group of dedicated and highly experienced
people.
</QUOTE>

Am interested to know, what "percentage" (*) of the code in your CVS
repository has been contributed by people other than the group
mentioned in the quote above?  Obviously, you do not allow anonymous
CVS write access.  Perhaps, one wishing to improve Ice (a freedom
granted by GPL) and who does not work for ZeroC has to mail his/her
improvements to your maintainers?

(*):  Percentage is a very nebulous term, I know.  For purposes of
answering the question, maybe you could resort to the
not-highly-meaningful number of LOC, and perhaps a word or two about
how Ice benefited from it.

- Anand

PS:  Please feel free to set FU-Ts as appropriate.