why python is slower than java?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Nov 7 00:26:38 EST 2004

Maurice LING <mauriceling at acm.org> wrote:

>I've already said the following and was not noticed:
>
>1. it is a disk intensive I/O operation.
>2. users delay is not in the equation (there is no user input)
>3. I am not interested in the amount of time needed to develop it. But
>only interested execution speed.

It is fabulous that you are able to enumerate your list of requirements so
completely.  I'm quite serious; many people embark on even complicated
projects without a clear understanding of the tradeoffs they will
encounter.

However, given that set of needs, why would you mess with an "exotic"
language at all?  Why wouldn't you just write straight to the metal in C++
or C?
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.