why python is slower than java?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sat Nov 6 20:35:32 EST 2004

Israel Raj T wrote:
> "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> writes:
>

>>I will argue that we might want to start including in the
>>headers of mailing list/newsgroups a dana reference.
>

> I would argue that this would debase newsgroups even further.

debase in what way?  I certainly don't see enough money flowing that it
would lead major python contributors down a road of debauchery and
depravity.  at least, those that aren't already there.

First, there would be a bunch of things required to make this work.  A
pay on the newsreader client, a connection to a payment system, a
registered identity for payment.  This is not a trivial amount of work.

Second, much of the conflict around various forms of intellectual
property boil down to getting paid.  By building a low overhead
mechanism through which people could get paid for all sorts of
intellectual property (questions answered, music, video, writings,
code), we would jumpstart a new economic engine.

initially there would be a big rush of everybody on the face the planet
trying to get that dollar payment.  It would probably be not unlike the
swarms of beggars that surround rich westerners when they travel through
less well-off regions.  We would evolve filters and rating systems which
would be used to cut down on the noise.  Eventually some contributors
would fallaway and others would persist and get better.

nothing would compel anyone to pay anything.  But I could see eventually
folks being rated on whether or not they do pay.  If you've got someone
who's always asking time-consuming questions and not paying anything, it
would be totally appropriate to filter out that person.

in the same community of users, you would have some people operating on
a gift economy, others operating on a financial economy and I believe
somehow, it would work.  I can't yet describe how but I believe it would
work.

---eric