SPARK v.s. PLY

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Nov 19 09:09:42 EST 2004

[Vinay Sajip]
> SPARK and PLY are similar.

I used both in various projects.  Very shortly said, I found PLY to be
faster than SPARK but more demanding/restrictive on the grammar design.
PLY has a few conveniences (like detection of duplicated methods in
classes), while SPARK is more on the side of Pythonesque elegance.

As I like ease and beauty, I think I still prefer SPARK overall :-).

In many cases, my input files could be designed so to be easily broken
up in chunks by other means, and then parsed one chunk at a time; this
simple trick let me recover enough speed from SPARK so it is not an
annoyance in practice.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca