?? Modules for GPIB and Ethernet ??

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sun Nov 7 11:45:03 EST 2004

On 5 Nov 2004 05:33:49 -0800, Chaser <justinhsia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<0-GdnfBAPrZPXBfcRVn-sw at powergate.ca>...
>> Chaser wrote:
>> > Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find modules for NI-488.2
>> > GPIB and for a generic ethercard?
>> As for the other question: do you actually mean you want a
>> way to talk "raw" Ethernet, or are you just trying to do
>> some networking?
> I have an equipment that's controlled through ethernet.  (The control
> program is currently written in C++.)  I guess my really difficulty
> is, how do I send commmands to that devise through ethernet using
> Python?

If this really is raw ethernet, I think your best multi-platform shot would
be a bleeding edge version of libpcap (http://www.tcpdump.org), and a Python
wrapper on top of it. Then make your OS accept the presence of the
interface, but not send or listen to it, and use libpcap to listen and to
inject (new feature in libpcap) ethernet frames.

It /might/ work.  High data rates may be a problem; libpcap with a
relatively slow client might drop packets.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!