?? Modules for GPIB and Ethernet ??

Chaser justinhsia at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 11:16:59 EST 2004

Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se> wrote in message news:<slrncosk48.36f.jgrahn-nntq at frailea.sa.invalid>...
> On 5 Nov 2004 05:33:49 -0800, Chaser <justinhsia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<0-GdnfBAPrZPXBfcRVn-sw at powergate.ca>...
> >> As for the other question: do you actually mean you want a
> >> way to talk "raw" Ethernet, or are you just trying to do
> >> some networking?
> > I have an equipment that's controlled through ethernet.  (The control
> > program is currently written in C++.)  I guess my really difficulty
> > is, how do I send commmands to that devise through ethernet using
> > Python?
>
> If this really is raw ethernet, I think your best multi-platform shot would
> be a bleeding edge version of libpcap (http://www.tcpdump.org), and a Python
> wrapper on top of it. Then make your OS accept the presence of the
> interface, but not send or listen to it, and use libpcap to listen and to
> inject (new feature in libpcap) ethernet frames.
>
> It /might/ work.  High data rates may be a problem; libpcap with a
> relatively slow client might drop packets.
>
> /Jorgen

Wow!  Thanks for the overwhelming support.  I am a computer
illiterate.  Please be patient with me.

I found the following posting that deals with GPIB interface using
Python.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=python+gpib&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=8aok7p%24j0%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=4

But I got stuck on the first step of installing the dynwin package.
The dynwin package relies on two auxiliary dlls, calldll.pyd and
npstruct.pyd.

I literally downloaded the .zip, unzip them and "drag and drop" the
two .pyd into my Python24/DLLs folders.  Then I created a dynwin
folder in the Python24\Lib directory.

1.  Is this the right way?
2.  At the Python prompt, I typed "import windll" and got the error
message that the module doesn't exist!
3.  I then tried "import dynwin.windll" and Python says module calldll
doesn't exist!

HELP HELP HELP