Help on installing PyQt on MacOSX 10.3 needed

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Wed Nov 10 05:28:11 EST 2004

Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:

| Kevin Walzer wrote:
|
|> Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:

|> |
|> | you are perfectly right. I went back to the documentation and paid a
|> bit
|> | more attention and with your information in mind, I now see that it is
|> | talking about a selfcontained python with pyqt. I guess that I want to
|> | use the qt bindings *dynamically*. That means that I have to find a way
|> | to tell Python where to find the pyqt that I installed.
|> |
|> | In tcl I would either have installed into a directory in auto_path or I
|> | would have extended auto_path. How is this done in Python?
|> |

|> PyQt is installed in the site-packages directory on OS X--there's
|> nothing special you need to do, it "just works" and loads up fine.
|

| Well, then I must have done something wrong since I get the error
| message that there is no module called qt available.
|
| On the command line of Python I did import sys and print sys.path to get
| the built-in search path. I checked the location where make install put
| the pyqt build vs the list of directories in sys.path and found that
| Python *should* be able to find pyqt. (There is a README file in that
| directory saying that this is the place to put third-party files, but I
| don't know if I have to do anything special in that sites.py which is
| mentioned in that README file)
|
| When I do import qt on the Python commandline, which file(s) in the
| third-party directory will be searched for first? If I knew that I could
| check if make install was successful generating all needed files.

How are you launching your program? Are you using pythonw instead of
Python? That's how to launch Python GUI programs on Mac OS X.

Do you have the MacPython add-ons installed? These make double-clicking
on Python apps the easiest way to launch them. See
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/.

Also, my installer package is now live. See
http://www.wordtech-software.com/pyqt-mac.html. It installs most stuff
directly, then you just need to run sudo make install in the directories
for PyQt and Sip. It's a straightforward build, nothing fancy, and works
fine for me. Perhaps you should give that a try and see if you find it
helpful.

When I try to assemble a standalone verison of a PyQt app (using py2app,
like py2exe but on the Mac, with the Qt libraries), I do have problems
seeing the PyQt path--I get some of the same error messages that you are
seeing. I haven't figured out how to debug those yet. However, when just
running the script, or doing an applet bundle
(http://www.wordtech-software.com/python-applet-tutorial.html), things
run fine. I've bundled up Eric3 (released with my PyQt distro) and Kodos
(just on my own box) this way, and they work fine.

- --
Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com