asynchat and threading

Rob Snyder arkham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 13:07:36 EST 2004

Thomas Guettler wrote:

> Am Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:31:17 +1100 schrieb Anthony Baxter:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:57:44 GMT, Rob Snyder <arkham at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can only paraphrase what I said in a recent python-dev thread -
>> absolutely *no-one* should be starting new projects using asyncore and
>> asynchat. Use twisted, instead - it's cleaner, saner, has an active
>> development community, and is in all ways a better solution than the
>> asyncore approach.
>>
>> asyncore based code causes bleeding from the eyes and brain leakage
>> through the ears.
>
> Hi,
>
> then the core of twisted should be in the standard library of python,
> and asyncore should become deprecated.
>
> This could save a lot of people a lot of time.
>
>  Thomas

Well, Anthony, that explains the blood on my keyboard, then. I am
downloading Twisted now, and will work through the tutorial this afternoon.
At least I feel like my pain was not entirely of my own creation!

As for making it into the standard library - I'm not a fan of putting larger
frameworks, which twisted seems to be - into a standard library. But I
agree with the spirit of your post, Thomas - is there some (reasonably)
comprehensive list of Python development frameworks and non-integrated
libraries? I'm did a lot of google'ing for stuff related to this any never
came across the Twisted Matrix site...

Rob