Python client lib for PostgreSQL8

Michael Fuhr mfuhr at fuhr.org
Fri Nov 19 11:48:18 EST 2004

Peter Maas <peter at somewhere.com> writes:

> Michael Fuhr schrieb:
> >>Is there already a PyPgSQL version in CVS or another client library
> >>that handles PostgreSQL 8?
> >
> > A lot of people like psycopg.
> >
> > http://initd.org/software/initd/psycopg
>
> Thanks, Michael. Does it handle PostgreSQL 8beta?

Yes -- I use psycopg with the PostgreSQL 8.0 betas.

> Now I've made the jump to a Linux workstation but I still prefer
> software that I can install on several platforms without hassle.
> I don't have any clue what advantages psycopg has over pyPgSQL.
> Are there comparisons / benchmarks available?

Psycopg can be a lot faster than pyPgSQL or PyGreSQL, especially
when retrieving large data sets.  You could google for comparisons,
but the most meaningful benchmarks would be those that you ran
against your own data.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/