ANNOUNCE: Ice 2.0 released

Marc Laukien marc at zeroc.com
Wed Nov 24 08:07:06 EST 2004

> I'm sure this is a wonderful thing, but your announcement gives absolutely
> no clue as to what Ice is or what it is used for.
>
> Please include an executive summary when you make an announcement like
> this.

Sorry for the omission. Please see the summary below:

"The Internet Communications Engine (Ice) is a modern alternative to
object middleware such as CORBA™ or COM/DCOM/COM+. Ice is easy to learn,
yet provides a powerful network infrastructure for demanding technical
applications. Ice shines where technologies such as SOAP or XML-RPC are
too slow, or do not provide sufficient scalability or security.

Ice is free software, available with full source, and released under the
terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Commercial licenses are
available for customers who wish to use Ice for closed-source software."

For more information, check out this paper:

http://www.zeroc.com/ieeeArticle.html

Cheers,
Marc