.pyc files...

Kent Johnson kent3737 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 09:09:46 EST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> See
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0304.html

I would like this feature. Cleaning up afterwards is not such a good
option for a project in progress; the .pyc files will just be re-created
on the next run.

But PEP 304 seems to be abandoned, if I read the record correctly. It
has an incomplete patch that is almost two years old and no activity
since then. PEP 320 (Python 2.4 Release Schedule) says

     - PEP 304 (Controlling Generation of Bytecode Files by Montanaro)
       seems to have lost steam.

The biggest stumbling block seems to be the lack of a patch for Windows,
though the *nix is also incomplete.

Kent