Zope 3.0, and why I won't use it

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Nov 16 12:06:59 EST 2004

Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> writes:

> Doing something other than that (for example, maybe popping up a
> README file in Notepad at the end of installation) would require
> changes to distutils, since X3's Windows installer is built by
> distutils.  The point of that isn't that changing distutils makes it
> impossible, the point is that since distutils *today* doesn't have
> such abilities, no distutils-built installer built today (whether X3's
> or any other Python project's) can do such things.

Recent distutils' bdist_wininst command has a post_install_script (or
something like that), which is run *after* the installation.  It can do
anything that Python does, so os.startfile("readme.txt") or
os.startfile("readme.html") would be possible.

I do not know which Python version zope uses, and I'm not sure the
post_install_script stuff has been ported to 2.3.  OTOH, there are
several ways to use 2.4's distutils with earlier Python releases.

(Although I'll doubt it would help at all - experience shows that nearly
nobody reads this stuff)

Thomas