Parallel Python on PowerMac?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 13:59:02 EST 2004

[Wolfgang Keller]
 > as I might get a dual-G5 PowerMac someday in the not to distant
 > future, I was wondering what options are available for making Python
 > benefit from the second CPU? Running two interpreters and using Pyro
 > would not be the most efficient (and easiest) way, I guess?

Qualifier: obviously efficiency is relative to the application.

But I would venture to say that, *in the general case*, the "most
efficient" way to benefit from a second cpu, both in terms of coding
time and execution efficiency, is to use either jython on a suitable jvm
or ironpython on mono (when it catches up with the .net CLR in efficiency).

I say "most efficient in execution efficiency" because all of the
de/serialization involved with communicating between two independent
cpython interpreters, using something like pyro, would outweigh whatever
performance advantage cpython might have over jython or ironpython. This
becomes more pronounced as you add more and more processors into the
picture.

I say "most efficient in coding time" because cpython would require you
to specially write code for inter-interpreter communications, and
possibly restructure your application accordingly, whereas jython and
ironpython won't: the same interpreter can have threads on multiple
processors, all executing simultaneously.

Although, iff your prospective machine supports System V IPC, you might
want to check out PoSH.

http://poshmodule.sourceforge.net

running-to-find-my-flame-retardant-suit-ly'yrs

--
alan kennedy