Questions pending - please help

Gerhard Haering gh at ghaering.de
Thu Nov 11 12:23:03 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:10:00AM -0600, Philippe C. Martin wrote:
> [...]
> 2) Is there a rule of thumb to follow when writing a c extention which will
> ensure backward compatibility with earlier python versions: although I will
> release the source of theses extentions, I cannot expect every customer to
> own a compiler or know how to use it.

1) Develop against the oldest Python version you want to support. There are
   normally no incompatible API changes.

2) Provide binaries for the platforms you want to support. Providing these for
   Windows and (maybe) MacOS is usually enough. Unix users normally prefer to
   have the software integrated with their package management anyway.

-- Gerhard