Questions pending - please help

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 11 13:38:07 EST 2004

"Philippe C. Martin" <philippecmartin at sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:200411111110.00909.philippecmartin at sbcglobal.net...
> 2) Is there a rule of thumb to follow when writing a c extention which
> will
> ensure backward compatibility with earlier python versions:

The C API changes slowly but it does change.  So don't use API functions
which have been added or which have changed since the earliest version you
want to support.  For future compatibility, don't use functions which are
deprecated (or which will be ;-).  I think changes are documented for each
version, but I do not know of any master summary.  If there is not one, an
info PEP (or web site page) on C API changes would probably be accepted
should someone write and submit one.

Terry J. Reedy