why python is slower than java?

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Sat Nov 6 12:28:35 EST 2004

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1gmtkpc.1h26kkr1rd529sN%aleaxit at yahoo.com...
> Hans Nowak <hans at zephyrfalcon.org> wrote:
>
>> John Machin wrote:
>>
>> > Or is this a joke/troll?? I can't believe the "unimelb.edu.au"; surely
>> > a forgery.
>>
>> Is it just me, or is the climate in c.l.py getting less friendly to
>> newbies?  In any case,
>
> Interestingly enough, I sort of share your perception -- and I have
> noticed the same thing, and seen it remarked upon by others, in other,
> completely unrelated newsgroups as well, such as it.comp.macintosh.

I'm still one of the newbies and I was not reading this newsgroup a year
ago, so I cannot draw any comparisons, but I wonder, has this group also
grown much during this time?  Could this be a cultural thing like the
difference between a small town culture and a big city culture?

> It's not, I think, about newbies in general: people who come and post
> help requests, without giving the information that's quite obviously
> indispensabile to let us help them, keep getting treated with
> unreasonable amounts of friendliness and courtesy even after many
> requests for more info go unheeded, for example.
>
> However, newbies who are clueless enough to come blasting in with the
> usual whines we've heard a zillion times -- Macs cost too much, Python
> is too slow, there's no apps for Macs, Python must absolutely add
> feature X or it will die, Apple's gonna go broke tomorrow, etc, etc --
> do appear to get on our collective nerves worse than their essentially
> indistinguishable precursors did last year, two years ago, &c.

I have complained myself about several aspects of Python that I was
discovering as I was learning it (although I never said Python will die).
But I have been programming for enough years to believe that I am entitled
to have an opinion even in something that I am new at and that I am entitled
to express that opinion.

On the other hand, as I become more experienced in Python and I have
opportunities to help other people who are even newer at this than I am, I
also feel some frustration when I do not get enough help from them to help
them.  But I probably can still relate better to them because, like them, I
still need help in so many areas.

IMO, we all must show more tolerance.  I believe though that newbies are
naturally more tolerant of experts because newbies need the experts.  So I
am making a plea particularly to experts to show more tolerance to newbies.
The newbies' complaints come out of frustration, frustration just like
yours, which shows in terms like "clueless", "blasting in", and "whines
we've heard a zillion times", all in just one sentence (and that is in a
discussion on friendliness towards newbies).

Are you learning any new subject now and are you involved in a newsgroup as
a newbie?  If you're not doing that already, python experts, please try it
and you'll probably see what it's like.  No better way to see the other
side's point of view than being on the other side.

Dan