why python is slower than java?

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Sun Nov 7 00:13:43 EST 2004

> What if we do, _AND_ carefully follow Eric Raymond's excellent
> recommendations each and every time we ask for help?  Are then we
> allowed to loathe and despise the mass of clueless dweebs?-)

I do have to thank you for the story on Plato and his students (in
"reverse jython" thread).

Now that courtnesy is done, I believe you do have all rights not to
reply to all requests for help. As in the law, you have the rights to
remain silent...

> I can be a newbie at a bazillion subjects, easily -- but I cannot truly
> be a newbie at such tasks as human interaction, social dynamics, general
> information retrieval and processing.  I can easily guess what will
> happen if I enter any mailing list or newsgroup with both guns blazing
> out of frustration, for example, and therefore I cannot easily
> sympathize with anybody who _does_ behave so foolishly.  It's not a
> matter of expertise about any specific subject, not even exactly one of
> skills, but rather one of personal maturity and character.

Bazillion subjects, my respect. Looking back at this thread...

1. I've asked a question which I may be wrong (many people do that)

2. Some had answered and pointed out my misconceptions, thank you all
for that.

3. Some had pointed to the fact that I am from University of Melbourne
(with unknown motives). It was then clarified that I was an honours
student (www.zoology.unimelb.edu.au) in the Dept of Zoology. Perhaps I
may say that I am a molecular biologist by degree.

4. Some had pointed out instances (books and all) whereby my wrong
impressions might have been formed.

5. Some had painfully taxed on the my initial misconceptions and
generalizing it to the ridicule of non-experts, and in the process of
so, suggesting controversial codes in the pre-text of eliciting responses.

6. Furthering it, using notable words from famous people, to
discriminate against a group of people, when the first instance had been
breached... you can choose not to reply.

All these happens when the discussion had been taken to other areas... I
brings one to wonder on maturity and character......

> I know how to search mailing list archives, or google groups ones, and
> considerate enough to use this easily acquired and very useful knowledge
> to try and avoid wasting other people's time and energy, for example, by
> airing some complaint that's been made a thousand times and answered
> very comprehensively.  When I can't find an answer that way, I ask with
> courtesy and consideration and appreciation for the time of the people
> who, I hope, will be answering my questions. Etc, etc -- reread Eric's
> essay on how to ask for help, it's a great piece of work.

All the knowledge in this world are in libraries and now, networked
libraries via internet. Today, almost all high school students in
developed countries are versed in internet. And by your argument, it
seems that all universities are complete waste of money as all knowledge
is out there and the tools to access the knowledge is readily available.

As mentioned, the discussion is heading else where and my misconceptions
cleared before your replies. If I've indeed forgotten, my sincere
apologies and hereby thank you for your time and efforts.

> That doesn't mean a newbie isn't always welcome, _if_ they show any sign
> whatever of being worth it.  But asking for tolerance and patience
> against _rude_ newbies which barge in with shrill, mostly unjustified,
> repetitious complaints, is, I think, a rather far-fetched request.
>

> Alex

You still have the right to remain solemn.

maurice